It's not Whitebread!!!

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Something old, new, borrowed and dead!

When I come back to London, I look forward to re-visiting all the old hang-outs and seeing old friends. I also always expect to see something new and different. The area has grown so much with all new housing, retail outlets, etc. but the thing that has amazed me the most is the roadkill.
I have never seen so much roadkill in my life!
Both my parents and sister live a little ways out of town and require about a 10 minute drive on country roads and it is on those trips that this discovery has begun. I have seen roadkill in Alberta but maybe only 2 or 3 "items" on the way to Banff (okay, sometimes its a large item, like a deer) but nothing like the numbers I am seeing these days.
It's like a family of 3 or 4 groundhogs stand in the middle of the northbound lane and a family of 2 or 3 skunks stand on the middle of the southbound lane, each warning each other of oncoming traffic when *SPLAT*, too little too late. I actually counted 13 "items" in a 15 minute drive two nights ago. It's disgusting!
Either the suicide rate amongst Southern Ontario rodent relatives is out of control or maybe we just have smarter animals in Alberta!
No matter, night time driving is more of an adventure and it's not my car!.
Ta Ta for now!

7 Comments:

Blogger The Aitkenheads said...

A roadkill tally?!!

Wow that sounds like something only I would be likely to notice!!! Way to take the blog to the next level!!

Can't wait for the "rainbow of bug guts on the windsheild" blog.

Cool

AK

2:59 PM  
Blogger Kirst said...

I did a little Costco shopping today and thought of you. The girls at the office say hi.

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Night-time driving without your glasses? Let's not add any more roadkill to the tally - them or you. You need to be around in 9 days when I come out there.
Love D

9:11 PM  
Blogger Fred and Wendy said...

Remember the song: "Dead skunk in the middle of the road! Stinkin' to high heaven!"

Probably written in south-west Ontario.

We're praying for your DAD today!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Tammy Williams said...

Isn't it aweful? I didn't notice it as much in Alberta - even around Banff - but down here it is unbelievable. I ALWAYS pass a dead skunk in the middle of the road when I am driving to my in-laws. It's so weird! Maybe the rodent's families are in Alberta and they are making every effort to be near them - even if it becomes a life and death situation. Poor little guys!

12:20 PM  
Blogger Tammy Williams said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Bobbi said...

Keep in mind that you live in a city! We see 'roadkill' all the time; we live in the country and travel the highway daily. Jason has 'met' a deer up close and personal (a few months ago)...good payoff, a new vehicle!!! (Jason was fine!)
Drive careful!!

6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home