It's not Whitebread!!!

Friday, November 10, 2006

Is there a connection?

For us in the customer service industry (i.e. retail or medical/dental), we are convinced that there is a correlation between people's emotional and mental state and the weather, specifically a snow storm and a full moon (even though the latter isn't weather).
Why do all the whackos come out when the snow falls? Maybe it is just that people become whacko because the snow fell or the moon is full. It's crazy and in fact, I think it is making me whacko.

Also, is it unrealistic for us as dental personnel to expect our patients to arrive on time despite the weather? Should you not leave earlier if you expect your drive to be longer than usual?
Because we continue to accomodate patients that are late (so they don't get all whacko and create a scene), our schedule gets screwed up and we fall behind (at which time patients/parents get all whacko and create a scene). We take the patients that are on time in on time to reward their punctuality but if you are late, it is NOT unrealistic to have to wait. Have I turned to the other side and have therefore become totally insensitive to the patient? Maybe.
Just consider this:
When you go the to doctor/dentist/orthodontist etc. appreciate that they are trying their hardest to accomodate everyone and treat everyone with the same due care and that probably there is someone (might I suggest The Manager?) freaking out behind the scenes because we are running behind!!
That's it.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Joey said...

I COMPLETELY agree!!! and if you're just a med student who HAS to wait with her GP to see a LATE patient its even more irretating... and here I was thinking I was going mental all by myself:) ps: no you're not insensitive!!

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking as someone who has alot of experience in the service sector I can't tell you how much it irritates me when people aren't on time. A person wouldn't be late for a business meeting so why would they be late for their dinner reservations? Those reservations are the equivalent of a restaurants business meeting. For some reason people that have to bring their pets in can make it to their appointments on time. Why can't individuals be on time?

9:19 PM  
Blogger Kirst said...

I too hate when people aren't on time. I, can however say that sometimes we as a family aren't on time. I do try to make it appointments on time if not being early. Otherwise everyone gets affected by the lateness. You are not wrong in feeling that way. And no it's not insensitive. And that's coming from me miss overly sensitive.

11:02 PM  
Blogger The Aitkenheads said...

This has nothing to do with being late for appointments (which you are fully justified in your feelings for), but it does touch on people being all "whacko" If you happen to come to Costco for the 7.5' pre-light Christmas tree that you saw there last week and they are sold out...don't attempt to rip a strip off of the employee who happens to be standing there!! Trust me he's tired and generally not in a good mood for dealing with people who think the world revolves around them and when they need something!!! Costco rule #1: If you see it and you want it - buy it!!! You can always return it. We don't need your sorry, whiney, crybaby a@# in there yelling at us!!!

That's all...phew that feels better!!!

4:47 PM  
Blogger Bobbi said...

I have to admit, I purposely make dr. appt's about 20 min. before I'm done work, AND arrive about 30 after my appt. time. The office I go to is ALWAYS running 45-60 minutes LATE. I don't feel I'm in the wrong to do this. It just means I don't have to wait with my kids in the waiting room FOREVER. Is that wrong?!

4:28 PM  
Blogger Joy and Darrin said...

That tends to be why they are running late in the first place. You are not the only one with that idea!

4:35 PM  
Blogger Bobbi said...

My Dr. was actually the one that told me to do that!

5:49 PM  
Blogger Evey said...

I am always late for things. And usually on the days when I am on the way to actually being on time we get stuck in traffic. I cant win:)

6:36 PM  
Blogger --Nathan-- said...

i figure that anything that has been pre-arranged could be considered an "appointment" and im pretty sure everyone has been late for something at one point or another... so maybe its all just payback for making someone else wait for you

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home