It's not Whitebread!!!

Monday, November 06, 2006

Answer me this...

What do you tell your 4-year old when he finds his Christmas presents?

I don't think I handled it like I should have when I said, "No you can't play with that because that is your Christmas gift from Santa!"

Lessons of the Day:
1 - Don't use the same hiding place year after year.
2 - Don't ruin your son's image of Santa when he has a friend over.
3 - Think about your answers first - lying isn't all bad in certain circumstances.

I think that we will take Fred's suggestion and get a goat for Christmas. Ethan would have fun looking through the World Vision catalogue for an animal. Once again though, he will be disappointed once he finds out that we don't get to keep it. A needy family in Africa will benefit greatly and we have taught Ethan a great lesson. Plus, we wouldn't have to find a hiding place for the goat either.

Win - Win - Win.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger --Nathan-- said...

ethan will cheer up once he finds out it doesnt matter that santa doesnt exist and that he still gets the same amount of gifts anyways. my brothers ruined santa for me around 4 years old too.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Kirst said...

Whoops! How did he take that, learning Santa wasn't real? My Mom always had to use different hiding spots. I was a pre-Christmas snooper extrordinaire. I taught my bro's everything I knew.

2:06 PM  
Blogger This is the PUDDICOMBE CLAN!! said...

Sucks to be you Ethan! Well, he will get over it and fast...most kids do. Mom and Dad always hid Darcy's presents in the ceiling above her bed! She had a basement bedroom, with those tile things...she was the snoop of the house and never figured it out...although it was TONS of fun watching her try!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Fred and Wendy said...

What? Santa isn't real? That's not true I've been paying the invoice for years.

4:53 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

i didn't look for presents until i was in jr. high...i guess i just never thought to.

my mum wants a goat for christmas...she'll probably get one (and i'm talking about the africa kind of goat, not one for her backyard).

7:33 PM  
Blogger Bobbi said...

Thanks Joy for the compliment; however, I can't take credit for writing it. I received it as an e-mail from a friend. I just took my favourite part and made it the title!
As for Ethan. We always told the kids the truth. They believed us until they went to Kindergarten and she talked about Santa! All kids believe everything their kindergarten teacher's say!!
I'm sure you will know just what to say to him if he asks again. (he sounds like the inquisitive type!)

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home